Thursday, November 12, 2009

3- SEARCHING For EARLY 20th CENTURY HUGE BUILDING WALL SIGNS OUT And ABOUT MY HISTORIC VIRGINIA!....

The huge brick wall signs, usually, were located in our small towns in every nook and cranny in the Old Dominion! Older cities, like Newport News, Richmond and Northern Virginia are included, also. Like all of my other dozens of researches on my native State, this historian has traveled extensively with notebook and Nikon, recording much on paper and especially on slides and prints.
1) One of my 115 essays, now, in the Virginia Gazette and published in January of this year, was given nearly a page on the old "Adverising Art on Town Walls." Since the 1990s, one of my many research adventures has included exploring nearly every nook and cranny of my native Virginia! And, searching for old barns, lighthouses, standing depots, old-fashioned lunch counters, abandoned farmhouses and even swinging bridges, I noticed in every small town and old areas, like Richmond, Newport News, Roanoke and Norfolk, these large store brick walls and even water towers with very large advertising signs! To me they were a definite part of our Virginia art history. With this venture and adventure, I've discovered that this was and is the first, and original, history project!
My fave advertising art wall? There are two. One, "UNEEDA BISCUITS", is on a brick wall off of Broad Street (east) on Church Hill, near that famous Patrick Henry church! The other one is in Chilhowie, near Marion..."PIGGLY WIGGLY" sign painted on the side of a brick wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment