Sunday, October 11, 2009

2- EXPLORING THE ROSEWELL RUINS ONE SUMMER WHILE STUDYING AT W&M!...

The ROSEWELL Plantation home in ruins...Gloucester County, on the north banks of the York River. I wandered about the vine entangled ruins years before, on a weekend while studying at William & Mary, years before a group cleaned it up, like it is today. My directions were given the class back then by an excellent History prof.
I drove acorss the York River bridge early on that Saturday morning, carefully following each step on the map, in my little VW 'bug', with no problem and stopped along the country road in Gloucester County...where were the ruins? Only a cornfield and a large patch of woods in the middle.
Getting out, I pulled on my trusty Konica, then, found an open path and walked. Was summer hot, plenty of insects. My eyes were fixed intently on the woods in front of me, in the middle of the field.
A strange shiver of a feeling came over me as I approached the edge of the woods. The tangled vines and weeds made the going rough, but I was certain that my directions were on target. With my eyes adjusting, the outline of IT came into focus..........(more)....

No comments:

Post a Comment