Monday, October 18, 2010

13- SUMMER STUDY ADVENTURE WAAAY OUT TO MONTANA!!.....

A) Was chosen, one summer, to study "Federal Gov't" at Montana State U./Bozeman. For an added bonus, classes were spent at Big Sky Resort, as our"campus." That's not far from the western entrance to Yellowstone National Park. This educator and explorer had never been that far into our West by car....
B) One night I stopped in Nebraska, with the Indiana Jones idea of spending the night, in my car, in a cornfield. I had this "wild" plan to smell the Nebraskan countryside aka a cornfield! And did!
Early that morning, I awoke to the "putt-putt" sounds of a farm tractor near my car just inside the opened cornfield gate. A farmer was putt-putting away on his tractor, staring at me. I had been taught to always take the initiative when confronted with a problem, and got out and immediately explained, wiping my sleepy eyes, that I was an educator traveling to study in Montana and had wanted, at least once, to spend the night in a cornfield?
He continued to stare out of puzzlement....then laughed and invited me to follow him over to their farmhouse. His wife would prepared me a true Nebraskan COUNTRY breakfast!!! Well, I did....
C) Passed into Kansas and paused for a time in Lawrence, noting that a large university was there...summertime! Along the way, stopped at a small diner for, yes, my very first Bison 'burger...delicious!
D) My plan was to spend the night in Denver. As I approached from Kansas, could see the night lights of Denver up higher from the Plains, along the edge of the lower Rockies. However, Denver was hosting a huge square dance festival, with, it seemed, every gosh darn room taken! Turned north towards Fort Collins, another university town...in the dark.
E) Fort Collins, Colorado is another unviersity town. Spent the night in an old-fashioned downtown hotel. The, next morning early, drove straight north into Wyoming. Laramie was holding a great big RODEO. Yes, had to stop and enjoy and mingle.
F) Next stop...CODY, Wyoming! Stopped for plenty of time to explore the famous Cody museum before heading into Montana.
G) Last destination was Big Sky, where I would begin seminar classes on Monday morning at this resort for the summer studying "Federal Government." Neeeded, first, to go straight through Yellowstone National Park to get there, though. But, didn't realize how huge that very first American National Park was. Saturday night, decided to drive through the Park...late...and not stop until reaching Big Sky.
WHAT AN EXPERIENCE, driving through the night, with all kinds of critters out and about me on that narrow two-lane road through and around the Park loops! Saw Yellowstone Lake by moonlight...moose (what the heck is the plural of moose?)...coyotes...wolves...bison.
H) Made it to that first morning class on time!.....more....

No comments:

Post a Comment